Skip to main content

It's a Real Job

Written 2013. I found this in my 'drafts'. 

This might be a long one.  Try to follow me. I have a lot to say and a lot on my mind and I hope to communicate it so it makes sense.

I was a stay-at-home Mom from the time my son was born. I begged and pleated with my husband. It was very important to me. I wanted to raise our son. I didn't want someone else to, I didn't want to pay someone else to. God entrusted him to me and I am going to do everything in my power to raise him the best way I know how. This may sound crazy to some but that's my honest thought. I know it's not for everyone to stay home. Whether it be finances or desire. I know this is not a one size fits all. 

I have thought about this a lot through the years. I remember washing and folding my son's boxers for the first time. I thought to myself, I am raising a man. I am raising a Dad. I am raising a husband. I pray daily that he will be the best of all of these. I do not take raising him lightly. I want to raise him to be respectful, loving, God fearing, gentle, confident, honest Dad, friend, husband, co-worker he can be. 

Raising children is not a light job. It's a real job! The way you treat them. The way you allow them to treat others. The way they see you treat others! And the way they see you treat their father/(mother). 

I know you've heard conversations about how stay-at-home mom's don't have real jobs. It's just staying home, cooking, cleaning etc...it's not a real job. It's a real tough job. 


[Steps up on soapbox] 

[Taps mic]


It upsets me to see parents, I won't say mom's, not taking raising their children as a serious job. These are little angel's that God gave you to protect and raise. YOU have to be the one to brush their teeth. You have to be the one to clean between their toes. You have to be the one to bathe them. Teach them how to eat right and healthy. You have to be the one to teach them about being on time. Teach them to go potty in the potty. You have to be the one to teach them to love each other. Teach them about Jesus. Jesus loves them. They need to know that. They need to know YOU love them. They need to know they have family that loves them. It's your job to teach them these things. Not their teachers. Teach them to be a team player. 
Teach them to be a person of their word. If they are supposed to be at a friend's party and you as their parent RSVP for them to be there. Be there. Be respectful. Don't back out. When you back out because you don't have money for the gift, or you just want to stay home, or whatever you come up with, you are teaching them to NOT be a person of their word. 
These past few months, I guess, getting out from under my rock (SAHM) made me realize how much parents do for their children that is just making it harder for them to be teens, young adults, and adults. Parents teach your children how to be responsible. Remember what I said before, you are raising mom's, dad's, husbands, wives, leaders, your future Publix cashier, Bank Manager, Customer Service Rep, Teacher, Police Officer... you get the point! These children we are raising are the next generation!! That reminds me teach your babies to talk. Teach them to talk to humans. I do not care if they are 1 year old, or 6, or 12. Teach them to talk to people when they are spoken to. Even it's it 'Hello'. Or 'Yes, Ma'am'.  
I work in a two year old class. Half of the kids have zero words. Zero. If you go back and look at my previous blogs I remember our son had LOTS of words at 18 months. LOTS. 
Again, I know there are huge gaps in a 1-2 year old and their skills verbally and socially. But if they are always looking at a 'screen', then they are not going to learn to communicate. 
Teach your children that 'more is less', they don't need everything that comes on their t.v. channel. They don't need to go to every state on the map by the time they turn 3. Just because the circus is here doesn't mean they have to go. I don't care if they love the circus. Especially if your parents are paying for you to go every time. Give money value to them. Nope, it doesn't grow on trees, so teach them that. Make them understand that. 
My husband gives our son his coins from his pocket every day. We have a jar he puts the coins in. He saved those coins for our trip to Walt Disney World. We took those coins.

DISCLAIMER: I am not talking about anyone person in particular. If this is you, start now and make it right for your children. Now is the best time to do what's best for them. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Guess I Just Need a Little Sympathy!

Recognize Any of These Names?? Most women (or people) would not recognize names like, Skeet Reece, KVD, Mike Iaconelli-had to look up that spelling! Let me name some more...Bill Dance, Hank Parker, Alton Jones. Anyone out there know these people? These are just a few that I can think of right now. These people are like family, we talk about them so much! Let me introduce you to my life. My husband loves to fish. When I say loves to fish, that does not really explain the passion he has for this hobby. Let me try to explain it. Obsess –verb, to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwell obsessively upon something. There we go. Michael is obsessed with fishing. He thinks about it constantly. He watches it on television anytime he can get his hands on the remote. He talks about it, like I really want to hear about it. "Bo" is Caden's new word! AKA, boat. I have a feeling, it won't be long before I have two children obsessed with fishing. The flip side to tha

Read Much?

I am not a big reader. I remember growing up, and even still today, my Mom is such a big reader. She will pick up a book and not put it down until she's finished reading it. Yes, that means, she doesn't know what's going on around her. She gets so involved reading. I never ever liked reading. I will pick up little 'one-a-day devotional' and read it for about a week, then forget about it. I have never enjoyed reading. When we were leaving for the beach, for some reason, I wanted a book to read. So I have had this book for a while, but haven't made time to read it. 'Cracking the Communication CODE', by Emerson Eggerichs. It's book 2 of 'Love and Respect'. I didn't realize that when I got it. But you don't have to read Love and Respect to read the other. To help you understand why I picked up this book let me give you a little insight to what has gone on for me in the past three years. M lost his job. He moved away for a year and a half.

THE Wedding

Yes, It was a week ago, but blogging isn't my only chore. Last Saturday, November 6th my baby L got married. She was so beautiful! I was so honored to be apart of that day. I remember when she met J. We were all a little sceptical about it. He was a friend of a high school classmate, and it was a blind date. But they met and had a good time and it was history from there. The first time I met J, L, asked M and I to go to the Cumming Country Fair with them. M and I being country music fans were very excited to go. Because M and I started dating so long ago, he is like a big brother to L. They both bicker and protect each other like siblings. Michael kind of had a gut feeling J was going to be a good guy because he like Charlie Daniels and he knew the old country songs. After the concert we stopped my DQ, and had ice cream. For those of you that don't know, M doesn't like chocolate. Well at least that is what he says, but he will eat peanut M&M's, snickers, and browni